Affiliate Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
It can be hard to open the lines of communication with your kids. This can be especially true with younger kids who are just learning to speak in full sentences. If you have multiple age groups in your home this can make it even harder. In my own experience, I have my 5-year-old translate for my 3-year-old all the time! Do you?
These questions aim to help open up good and wholesome conversations with your kids which will lead to enhanced conversations and enhanced relationships.
Below are 101 questions for kids that you can draw from for fun, to start a conversation or just to get to know your kids better. These kid related questions can be used at home, in the classroom setting, at bible study or just as your go-to list of questions for when the kids are bored.
Research shows that when kids are asked questions and also ask a lot of questions themselves that it helps their cognitive development. This helps them problem solve and learn more about the world around them. These questions for kids to answer can result in intense but brief conversations. While asking these questions, your child may emphasize on rare words making them better at their language skills and problem-solving. This also helps them to develop their expressive vocabulary.
Scholars recommend parents have conversations with their kids to:
- Encourage a child’s interests
- Encourage a child to utilize better vocabulary
- Encourage cognitive thinking
- Teach them to take turns speaking and listening
All of this seems simple (and yes it is) but it can make a BIG difference. With a handy list of questions, you can make the process of talking to your kids a little bit easier.
The child related questions are divided into 10 different categories with 10 questions each. The categories are:
- Get to Know You Questions for Kids
- Fun/Silly Questions for Kids
- Kid Questions about Life
- Open-Ended Questions for Kids
- Questions About School
- Questions for Younger Kids and Toddlers
- Would you Rather Questions for Kids
- Animal-Related Questions for Kids to Answerer
- Food Related Questions for Kids
- Bible Questions for Kids
Get to Know You Questions for Kids
- What do you enjoy doing the most outside?
- What do you like the most about going to school?
- Which outfit is your favorite?
- What toy is currently your favorite?
- What is your least favorite dinner option?
- What do you love to do when you go to visit your grandparents?
- Do you have a favorite color, what is it?
- What is your favorite lunch food?
- Who is your best friend?
- What is your most preferred fruit?
Fun/Silly Questions for Kids
- What would your ogre name be if you were one?
- Would you want magical powers if you had to sleep 90% of the time to keep them?
- What superpower would you want as a superhero and what would you want your weakness to be?
- Out of Robin Hood and Peterpan who would win a sword fight?
- If a magic genie only gave you one wish, what would it be?
- If you could have Disneyland all to yourself for one day, who would you invite to be there with you?
- What do you think it would be like if dogs were in charge of the world?
- How would the world be if children were in charge of the parents?
- If you could be famous but had to have stinky feet to keep your fame, would you want that?
- If you could live in any movie, what would it be?
Kid Questions About Life
- What’s your favorite chore?
- What is your favorite thing to do before bedtime?
- Do you like when there is family time at night?
- What are some of the shows we can watch together as a family?
- What game would you like to add to the family game night?
- Do you like to read books? What kind?
- Do you have a special toy or blanket you still take to bed with you?
- Who is your favorite adult and why?
- How much money do you think a house costs?
- What is the most fun job in the world?
Open Ended Questions for Kids
- What do you think makes a good friend?
- Tell me about your favorite way to pass the time?
- Tell me a little bit about your best friend and why they are?
- What is your favorite book and what is it about?
- What do you want to be when you grow up and why?
- What is your favorite thing about Christmas?
- What is your favorite extracurricular activity or which one would you like to try out and why?
- What do you want to gift your friends and family this Christmas?
- What is the happiest thing you remember?
- What’s your favorite TV show about?
Questions About School
- Did anything unusual but fun happen at school today?
- Does your school have any cool clubs you would want to join?
- Do you think the school day is too long or would you want it to be longer?
- What is your favorite time during the school day?
- What is your favorite subject at school?
- Do you have a favorite teacher, who is it?
- Do you help your friends with their homework?
- What made you smile at school today?
- What subject do you think is the hardest?
- What is your favorite school lunch?
Questions for Younger Kids and Toddlers
- What’s your favorite toy?
- How old are daddy and mommy?
- Do you like when we take you to the store with us?
- Do you prefer milk or juice?
- Do you like nap time?
- What is your favorite animal?
- Do you prefer toast or cereal for breakfast?
- How many toes do you have?
- How old are you?
- Do you like going to the park and why?
Would you Rather Questions for Kids
- Would you rather be a ninja or a pirate?
- Would you rather have Halloween twice a year or Christmas twice a year?
- Would you rather run real fast or jump super high?
- Would you rather have a fire-breath power or ice shoot out of your eyes?
- Would you rather watch a movie or go to a party?
- Would you rather have it rain candy or oceans made of jello?
- Would you rather be small as an ant or big as an elephant?
- Would you rather go to the Marvel or DC universe?
- Would you rather have an ice cream cone or a snow cone?
- Would you rather an adventure by train or plane?
- Would you rather be able to pick up buildings with your bare hands or teleport anywhere you want?
Animal Related Questions for Kids
- If you were a dragon, what kind would you be?
- What is your favorite type of dinosaur?
- If your stuffed animals could talk, what do you think they would say?
- What animal would you want to go for a ride on?
- If you had a talking parrot, what would you train it to say?
- What does the fox say?
- Do you prefer dogs or cats?
- Would you like to have a pet?
- What question would you love to ask animals?
- What animal would you be if you could get the chance to be one?
Food Related Questions for Kids to Answer
- What is your favorite dessert?
- Where do grapes come from?
- If you could only eat one food item for the rest of your life, what would it be?
- What’s the worst food you have ever had to eat?
- What’s the best food you have ever had to eat?
- If you were a hotdog and you were hungry, would you eat yourself?
- If you had your own restaurant, what kind of food would you serve there?
- What would you do if I ate your food and you were really looking forward to eating it?
- If you could erase a food forever, what would it be?
- What is your favorite restaurant?
Bible Questions for Kids
- How big do you think Noah’s Ark was to fit all the animals on it?
- Did anyone else walk on water besides Jesus?
- What do you think heaven is like?
- What do you think God is like?
- How tall do you think Goliath the giant was?
- What do you think Jesus and His mom talked about?
- How old do you think God is?
- What do you think the Garden of Eden was like?
- How does someone get to heaven?
- What is your favorite miracle that Jesus performed?
You want to have conversations with your kids. It is vital for their social, language, and cognitive development. By asking these questions your child will also learn the skills of conversation which are crucial for them to have later on in life. We hope our list of 101 questions for kids helps to spark the right conversations in your home, classroom, or anywhere they are used.
If you enjoyed these 101 Questions for Kids, you will also love these 101 Questions for Couples!
Have you considered a bible or devotional for your child? Try these: